Thursday, August 13, 2009

Take a Deep Breath with Me

STRESS...

Just take a moment to think about this word.
I have been so incredibly stressed lately. I'm moving in a week, and the loss of my beloved Olivia was the icing on the cake, the straw that broke the camels back, the last thing I could handle...well, you get the picture.

Moving in New York City is not an easy undertaking, and I'm about to take on my third move in three years. Everyone knows how fast paced this city is. And as fast paced as daily life is, so is the renters market. Don't try to find an apartment early and make things easier for yourself because it does not exist. All you can do is wait until one month before your move date and like a bat out of hell rush to the fences and take your post. It's a battle field out here. Apartments do not last. You have to be cut throat. If someone views the apartment you think you want before you get there to view it yourself, cut them at the knees. Spare no one. And, please do not try to find your dream apartment, because that does not exist. You will have to compromise one of three things: 1. Neighborhood 2. Rent 3. Size. Take your pick. You may be lucky enough to have to pick two, so be prepared.


I was planning on living in a studio because Sex and the City told me I had to have the experience of living alone. But then I realized, I actually live in the real world. Carrie Bradshaw's rent stabilized GIANT studio with HUGE kitchen and ENORMOUS closet does not exist. Charlotte's Upper East Side luxury building ain't happenin' on my budget. Yes, if I wanted to live in a dorm room with a fake kitchen and a bed-living room, sure. If I wanted to exceed my budget, plus pay bills all alone, I could do it. However, I realized my dream of living alone some how does not compare to my current quality of life. So, I've taken up a new roommate.


We have sacrificed our neighborhood and our budget (only by a tish), but our apartment is amazing. It is located on Wall Street. It has a beautiful roof deck, a gym in the building (no fee! Ka-CHING, I just made up some money!), and the apartment itself is extraordinary. All new appliances (for those of you not in NYC, this is a luxury, not a standard), lots of space...and drum roll please....CENTRAL AIR CONDITIONING. Yes, there is absurdity here, this would be mandatory in places outside of NYC. But here, they take you for what you're worth. So saddle up and get ready for a ride.


We did end up getting an unbelievable deal. Though I mention rent as an aspect that we sacrificed, we were truly low balling before, and now we have lucked out. I hope to be able to afford a beautiful new laptop I have been eying. And for all of my five followers, this will assist my writing life. Plus I'm hoping with the money I'll save I can afford an overseas vacation...at some point.


I sit now with a glass or red wine, a true water glass...no wine glasses left in my current apartment that is in the process of being packed up. I sip my wine, take a deep breath in and slowly let it out. I must enjoy this moment. The stress of getting the apartment is gone. I now must move on to scheduling my movers, scheduling a move out date, scheduling a move in date, negotiating a few things in my lease...the list goes on.


So with my stress at a smaller level I have no choice but to enjoy this moment. I currently have no TV in my apartment as it belonged to Lauren, my old (and incredibly amazing) roommate. All I can do is blog, sip my wine and read my book. And you know what? That sounds like an incredible evening to me.





Sweet dreams my Olivia

1 comment:

  1. THIS is why I say New York is the most amazing, incredible place to live.......in your twenties!

    ReplyDelete